The upstream process (USP) development scientist will assist in experimental design, e.g. using a Design of Experiments (DoE) approach and execute experimental programmes (e.g. media/process development) using automated ambr15 system, Wave and stirred tank bioreactor platforms. The Scientist will also work across functional groups – cell line development and in-process analytics, will be required to perform procedures and experiments under supervision, and these may range from simple to complex operations. The Scientist will be required to use his/her knowledge of bioprocessing theory, techniques and equipment to interpret and perform experimental protocols and studies for the purposes of reporting and analysing data and developing new or modifying existing processes or assays.
This position is based at Evox Therapeutics facility based in the Oxford Science Park, and reports to the Principal Scientist in CMC department.
- Up-stream process development
- Experience of experimental design, e.g. using DoE software
- Experienced in executing experiments using ambr15, Wave, stirred tank bioreactors
- Ideally with experience and/or understanding of Cell Line Development
- Perform the following established procedures including, but not limited to, cell culture (adherent / Suspension), and exosome harvest.
- Produce exosome harvest to support downstream process development and process characterization.
- Adhere to good documentation practices.
- The development scientist will plan their daily work activities, (e.g. the operation of equipment, cell culture, data analysis and report writing) based on experimental plans and time scales set out by their supervisor.
- The development scientist will also be required to recognize, record and inform their supervisor of issues pertaining to particular operational problems or scientific/technical issues relating to their daily work activities.
- Offer suggestions for resolution of technical issues based on experience. The development scientist will be expected to show creativity in resolving issues.
- The development scientist will be required to communicate verbally and in writing within the CMC group.
- Present scientific data at internal CMC meetings.
- Write/revise/review SOP’s, risk assessments, protocols and reports.
- Perform laboratory tasks including general housekeeping, equipment monitoring and maintenance.
- Troubleshoot equipment and methods within the process development and manufacturing teams.
- Additional responsibilities/tasks may be assigned.
- BSc or MSc in Biological Sciences/cell biology
Experience and Skill Requirements:
Education, training and experience will be appropriate to a specific job description. As a guideline the following may be considered:
- 1-5 years’ experience in a relevant work environment.
- Computer literacy (including MS Word and Excel).
- Ability to work well as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Effective communication skills.
- The scientist should be capable of receiving and correctly following instructions and seek clarification if instructions are unclear.
- Experience of operating Bioreactor systems (Stirred tank, Wave systems)
- Experience of operating Ambr15 for clone selection, media optimisation and process development would be advantageous
Job Type: Full-time (40 hours per week)
**Strictly no agencies please as we operate a closed preferred supplier list**